Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Wedding

Nicholas Spark's The Wedding is the first romance novel I have read and I would not have read it had I not been forced by my wife. I have to admit, however, that the romantic in me actually relished reading it.

It was warm, sweet, exciting, and joyful, as love should be. It is the story of how an old couple fell out of love, and then fell in love again after the workaholic husband courted his much neglected housewife. It ended with a typical, but still endearing, romantic gesture. I would like to do the same for my wife, but I would rather not let our marriage reach the breaking point.

Indeed, I began seriously thinking about our own wedding after reading this book. We are yet to have a church wedding although we now have two kids. No matter how my wife claims that it would be impractical, I know that one of the best ways to honor her as a woman would be to let her walk down the aisle.

Our civil marriage was a farce. We had to rush it because she was already pregnant with our first child, and we feared the event might be disrupted since news of our sudden decision to marry was not well-received. It was held at the Manila City Hall because my uncle works there and he had a few connections. My parents and a few relatives were there, but there was none on her side except a close friend. An old, nearly infirm, pastor led the ceremony. We then had a lunch at Max's Restaurant at SM City Manila. In the afternoon, we watched a documentary about penguins with the narration done by Sharon Cuneta.

And so that is how we became husband and wife. I hope I can make it up with a real, romantic, and, hopefully regal, church wedding.

No comments: