Friday, April 17, 2009

Principle Centered Leadership or How Self-Help Helped Me

I first learned about the Seven Habits when I won a book of daily reflections by Sean Covey, Stephen's son, as a prize for one of the sessions of the Dale Carnegie course I was attending.

Back in high school, my close friend Hans invited me to go to Cebu for free. We went to SM Cebu and I browsed books at the National Bookstore. I had been looking at Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People on prior visits to bookstores because I was painfully aware of how shy I was, and that I needed to improve in the area of interpersonal relations. I only had a thousand pesos as pocket money for the trip, but I felt particularly rich that day because we were staying at Shangri-la Mactan so I decided to buy the book.

It was a real eye-opener. It was one of the few books that really got me excited because it addressed a pain point with specific action steps rather than vague exhortations to think positively or to pray for divine intervention. I did not become an extrovert overnight, and I remain introspective by nature, but it put me on the path of continuously challenging myself to get out of my comfort zone.

The summer before college, I convinced my dad to shell out six thousand pesos so I can enroll in a Dale Carnegie course. I went all the way to Makati twice a week for five days to attend a course that forced me to speak, think on my feet, and even make a complete fool out of myself. It made me realize there was a lot more I could do if only I had the confidence to express myself and reach out to people. I felt a sense of possibility and power. It helped me conquer myself.

I have not really discussed Principle Center Leadership, but there will be more opportunities to write about the Seven Habits and how Covey profoundly affected me as a person, and as a leader.

No comments: