Thursday, April 9, 2009

Fairy Tales

Hillary Rollins' The Empress' New Lingerie was a gift from Patricia, and is the only piece of erotica in our library. It is a book of fairy tales that have a sexual twist. As a guy more likely to be excited by something more visual or explicit, I found the book as arousing as watching paint dry on a wall.

I really don't have much to say about this book or this subject so let me talk about fairy tales. I remember that I really liked them as a child. I used to collect the fairy tale booklets that came with Nido milk cans as a promotion. I also watched a television series that showed a different fairy tale every week, but I no longer remember the show's title. While I know a few Filipino folk tales, it's a shame I probably know more about those written by Andersen and the Grimm brothers. Now that I have two little boys, I need to remember how excited I was by fairy tales and how they were real to me as a child. I want them to experience the same sense of magic and wonderment. At the same time, I would like them to learn more about their own culture and heritage.

Rollins' erotic work sits a few inches away from my son's children's books.

No comments: