Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Philippine Independence Missions

I received a copy of Bernardita Reyes Churchill's book Philippine Independence Missions as a prize for winning the National History Quiz in 1998 as a high school junior. I won one hundred thousand pesos as prize money, the first time I ever held a six digit sum in my hands. Not only was I proud of winning a national competition, I was also happy to help my parents financially as we were in danger of losing our home. That still remains one of my proudest moments.

I finally got to read the book eleven years after. It was a surprisingly interesting read. The key personalities of the independence struggle became living and breathing human beings in my mind, not just names to memorize and recite for quiz shows. There was Quezon the master politician, cunning, passionate, and impulsive; Osmena, ambitious, but ultimately a loyal gentleman; Roxas, nationalistic, demagogic, and impatient to reach the top; and Aguinaldo, perennial critic and pain in the ass, struggling to reclaim his former glory.

I have renewed admiration for these leaders. They were flawed as all humans are, but by demonstrating brilliant leadership, they belied claims that Filipinos were unfit for independence. They won for us our freedom.

No comments: