Monday, July 4, 2011

1000 Places to See Before You Die

Reading Patricia Schultz 1000 Places to See Before You Die was sheer delight. She manages to capture in just a few paragraphs the history and the magic of a particular place. I know I cannot possibly visit all of the places in the book, but it does make me want to get rich faster so I can retire earlier and visit as many as I can. I also now have a good idea of the best places to stay in in the cities covered by the book. Most of the hotels she features are high end, but I do not really mind as part of the reason I travel is I want to experience the good life. I normally travel with two kids so staying at a hostel and being "authentic" is not really an option.

The book has almost 1000 pages, but I looked forward to reading it everyday until I finally managed to travel around the world vicariously by reading about one thousand beautiful places. It will take some planning, and a lot of saving, but I definitely want to see and experience the world, and this book has managed to fire up my wanderlust even more. My family is taking baby steps by exploring the country and neighboring countries first. So this December, we will be spending New Year's eve in Hong Kong. Too bad we cannot afford a room at the Peninsula yet, one of the featured hotels in the book and reportedly one of the best in the world, but I will make sure we savor views of the harbor. I cannot wait for the New Year countdown. This time we will see fireworks over one of the most beautiful cityscapes in the world rather than just another Manila street seen from another hotel in Manila.

No comments: