Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Celestine Vision

I have not read James Redfield's Celestine Prophecy so I was not able to appreciate fully this book's recommendations on living with spiritual awareness. I did glean from the book that his earlier works highlight mysterious coincidences as unique opportunities to learn more about our life purpose. Synchronicity include events such as thinking about someone and seeing him on the same day, or dreaming about something only for it to appear in reality. Seemingly unrelated events converge to create special meaning.

I am not comfortable enough with these concepts to go out and preach about them. There is enough of the skeptical scientist in me to keep me from really exploring these ideas in detail. However, I have learned enough about life to suspend my disbelief and keep an open mind. There are things we cannot rationally explain. There are critical turning points in my life that seem to have been part of God's plan even though these events appeared meaningless or even sad at the time they happened. For example, my career would not have progressed as fast as it did had I not been rejected by IBM the first time I applied.

On the other hand, I do not want to read too much meaning in coincidences. I do not know how to explain it but I still believe in human agency and our ability to determine our future. Yet at the same time, I am humble enough to admit that there is a lot beyond our control. And I am comfortable with the idea that I cannot resolve this apparent contradiction.

No comments: