Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

I do not remember much detail from Murakami's novel other than that two separate plot lines eventually converge in the end while he takes the reader through an endless series of twists and turns.

I recall reading and finishing this book during the first few days of Magnus at Waldorf. Straight from my night shift and with hardly any sleep, I was actually as excited to go school as him. Waldorf, located on top of a mountain in San Mateo more than half an hour away, served as a momentary refuge from the stress of work. Reading in the van about the adventures of a human encryption machine and the parallel world in his head served as a welcome chance for silence and solitude. There could not be any more ideal setting to continue reading than Waldorf. The school is bordered on one side by a forested ridge while, all around, one has a magnificent view of Manila and Laguna Lake. Those first few days were tiring, to be sure, but they were soothing to the soul.

Murakami's penchant for characters who drink scotch may have been partly responsible for my own preference for drinking whisky. I only wish I can also acquire the good taste of his characters for music. While I listen to more classical music than the average 26 year old, I do not have the fine taste they have for specific recordings of classical pieces. Nor do I have as much knowledge about jazz and the other relaxing songs he plays in his novels.

Finding time to commune with nature and appreciate art are both important in ensuring I have a sense of balance even as I grapple with the challenges of being a young father and manager.

No comments: