Sunday, July 18, 2010

Places That Scare You

I have long felt a sense of spiritual emptiness. I tend to worry a lot despite having read many Western self help books. I finally realized the trouble was with the mind and my lack of mastery over it.

Reading a book on three minute meditations introduced me to the mechanics of watching my thoughts. Finally, after dismissing my wife's books on spirituality, I gave a chance to Pema Chodron's Places That Scare You. I am deeply grateful I did for it gave me an entirely new worldview, and a greater appreciation for the teachings of Buddha.

When Shakespeare calls the world a stage, and in Macbeth laments life as a poor player full of sound and fury signifying nothing, there is a sense of resignation at the troubles of life. Chodron, however, presents a more compassionate, and accepting view of life: "It is possible to go through the drama of our lives without believing so earnestly in the character that we play."

We have lost perspective. Ego leads us to believe that each of us is so important that life's challenges are specifically designed to torment us. We forget there are so many other people like us who suffer and who probably suffer even more. We have lost our ability to laugh at the absurd things that happen in life. As Chodron says, "We prefer the selfish cocoon of ego when we can have the freedom of a butterfly."

No comments: