Wednesday, July 7, 2010

100 Best Worldwide Vacations to Enrich Your Life

This book by Pam Grout, traveler and advocate of living big, inspired me to go on vacations that make me feel more alive. My dream vacation in the book is the round the world journey to the wonders of the world such as the Pyramids at Giza, Angkor Wat in Cambodia, and the Himalayas while accompanied by top notch scholars on these places. I hope to make this trip before I am too old to climb the pyramids.

I have been trying to change the way I go on vacations by moving beyond seeing tourist sites and having my picture taken. Pam Grout inspires the traveler to learn and to experience. In my recent trip to Baguio, I spent some time hiking, rappelling, learning how to ride a horse, dining on Cordillera food, learning about Cordillera culture, and having my portrait done. This trip was so much more enriching as a result than my five previous trips to Baguio where I spent most of time jostling with other tourists while buying cheap souvenirs at places such Minesview and Burnham Park.

This is just a first step though. I would like to be really immersed in the culture of the place I am visiting. Instead of having my face sketched, perhaps I should do the sketching next time. Instead of simply eating, I should learn to cook local food. And instead of squeezing so many activities in four days, I should learn the art of doing nothing for two weeks.

No comments: