Monday, July 5, 2010

Peaks and Valleys

It is half a year since I read this book by Spencer Johnson and I can no longer remember any profound insight. All I know is it contained advice about how to achieve success in life, but I also remember that I already knew most of what it said. The message is given in the form of a story of a man who moves from the valley to the peak and learns about the ups and downs of life.

Since the story is mostly an exercise in stating trite life lessons, the main value of the book is as a reminder to be patient and appreciate the journey instead of simply waiting for the next peak, or complaining about the current valley.

From the valley of my quarter life crisis, when I struggled to complete my degree, juggled three different jobs, and became a young father, I look back and see several peaks, each higher than the one before without any really deep valleys in between. It's good to appreciate how far I have come as I scale the next peak ahead of me.

No comments: