Thursday, December 17, 2009

You Don't Need a Title

Mark Sanborn's book You Don't Need a Title to be a Leader is a great summary of timeless leadership ideas. The book is especially helpful in reinforcing self leadership, the idea that everyone, regardless of formal rank or title, can and should act as a leader. This is precisely the culture I wanted to build back in my former team, and this is what I would like my current team members to realize. They should never wait for the promotion before they act as leaders. They should instead seize opportunities to expand their scope and influence such that the promotion and the title just becomes a formality.

I should continue reading about leadership even if I am familiar with many of the concepts. I felt great reading this work as it reminded me of my mission and my belief in the idea of servant leadership. My superiors will rate me a great leader once I deliver the numbers, but I will only rate myself the way my own people will rate me: by the degree to which I have driven them to become better persons through positive influence.

1 comment:

Von Totanes said...

hi, i'd like to ask for permission to reproduce a screenshot of your blog for a book. please email me at von.totanes@gmail.com. thanks!