Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Hours

The Hours, the Pulitzer prize winning novel of Michael Cunningham, is depressing, but punctuated by snippets of euphoric celebration of life. And perhaps it mirrors life itself for I myself often feel I lead a life of quiet desperation only to be jolted sometimes by a moment that make it all worth it - the kiss of my child, a quiet moment with my wife, the gratitude of an inspired employee.

I am sad for Virginia, Laura and Clarissa. I feel I have gained some insight into how modern life drives women to insanity or to run away. I will never truly understand the dilemma of asserting the self while taking care of the home. I can only try and help my wife. I do not want us to count the hours and let them pass. I want us to celebrate and savor the hours that make a life.

No comments: