Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Craft of Social Research or How I Finally Graduated

I read this book by Booth et al simply because I had a copy and it felt such a waste not to read it. I photocopied the book while taking up Political Science 199 under Professor Rolando Fernando, but I never got around to reading the book since I was too busy rushing to submit papers so I can finally graduate.

I remember how stubborn I was at that time. Once more, I did not submit the first requirement on time, and, adding insult to injury, the paper I submitted had coffee stains. Sir Fernando was understandably pissed and wanted me to drop the course. More than a year before, another professor already forced me to drop the course, preventing me from graduating with honors. This time, however, I stood my ground. I did not care whether I was right or wrong, or whether my professor was insulted or not. I wanted to graduate, and no coffee stain was going to prevent me from getting that diploma.

There was even one day when my professor wanted to throw the rule book at me. He brought the UP manual to class, but I guess he did not find anything that warranted forcing me to drop his class so he never brought it up. Over the next several weeks, I received a lot of admonitions and warnings about how my continued stay in class was conditional on meeting his standards. But I guess sheer gumption won the day. I finally finished the class that I dropped three times, and officially obtained my degree.

I attended that year's graduation ceremonies to accompany my wife, not anymore to receive my own diploma. I felt I had missed my chance two years before. But Sir Fernando apparently thought otherwise. My classmates said he was looking for me after the ceremony to congratulate me. I did not get a chance to see him, or talk to him again, but I owe him thanks for finally letting me graduate.

No comments: