Monday, June 2, 2008

Confessions

I was baptized a Catholic and I grew up a Catholic. As a Catholic school boy, I dreamed of becoming not just a priest, but becoming the Pope. Then I entered Manila Science High School where science taught me to become a skeptic and I soon became an atheist.

As I went through college at UP, I began to realize that atheism was arrogance. Believers cannot prove the existence of God, yet neither can atheists disprove his existence. The best answer to question of God's existence, I realized, was that I don't know.

I did not quite experience the sudden conversion that Augustine did when I read the Confessions. But I continue to look for God. Recent events in life have proven to me that there are so many things that are simply beyond my control. I took a step in the right direction, but the rest was chance - or God. A few more steps and I will be ready to make that leap of faith.

No comments: