Tuesday, December 20, 2011

International Economics

As a college senior, I read some chapters of this book by Paul Krugman and Maurice Obstfeld. While I aced the basic economics class the year before, I only received average marks for this course. I found it difficult to understand some of the theoretical chapters so I ended up having some knowledge of international trade and finance, but not any intuitive understanding of its concepts. Last year, six years after college, I finally read this book from cover to cover. I doubt I can explain comparative advantage to someone else anymore than I could when I was in college, but I feel I have a better grasp of the economic headlines today - the sovereign debt crisis in Europe, the impact of foreign exchange on the Philippine economy, and recurring fears of another global recession.

I once seriously considered taking a master's degree in Economics. After taking a couple of graduate subjects in Political Science, I realized there was not much new to be learned from my professors so I planned to enroll in the School of Economics. But life happened. I became a father at 22 and my career in IBM just kept on growing that I finally gave up on graduate school.

As a manager in the BPO industry, I actually see how currency exchange fluctuations can frustrate my attempts to reduce cost. This is international economics in practice.

No comments: