Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Hey, Nostradamus

I have never understood why students will bring guns to school and start shooting at random the way the shooters did at Columbine. I have often wondered whether it was an American, or a developed country phenomenon as it has not happened in the Philippines. In Hey, Nostradamus, Douglas Coupland depicts the story of a young couple whose lives are forever changed by a school shooting incident. One life is snuffed out senselessly, and another tries to move on with life, but the past continues to haunt him until his own life ends violently. I can only describe this novel as bleak.

The book forces the reader to feel the pain of a victim and it is a truly depressing feeling. I do not know if I could have reacted any more differently than Jason if I were in the same position. I do not even want to imagine violent crime, but there is no use denying its existence. It has happened to real people, and it will continue to happen to real people. Perhaps I cannot understand this because there is nothing to understand. It is senseless and that is all there is to it. Life truly can be nasty, brutish and short so it is good to be reminded how we should enjoy every moment we have with the people we love.

No comments: