Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Millionaire Mind

Thomas Stanley's Millionaire Mind validates many of the lessons I have learned from Richard Kiyosaki. Stanley's research shows the wealthy do not buy a lot of doodads. They usually have their shoes resoled instead of buying new ones. They buy houses in good neighborhoods near good schools, but they do not usually buy them brand new.

Rejection of conspicuous consumption is also consistent with Stanley's finding that most millionaires marry spouses with old fashioned family values, and prefer to spend time playing with grandchildren instead of shopping during their leisure time.

One useful nugget for me was that millionaires are not fans of do it yourself repair work at home. I have always said to my wife that the opportunity cost of fixing the toilet was not worth the time lost for reading the newspaper. Besides, I have botched replacing the faucet several times I really should leave it to the professional. Anyway, my wife remains unconvinced despite Stanley's book.

The most important point is perhaps the most trite. Millionaires focus on their strengths. By doing what they love most in ways that earn money, then getting rich does not have to be so hard after all.

No comments: