Thursday, January 24, 2008

Crime and Punishment

Raskolnikov thought he can be a Napoleon by murdering an old pawnbroker. But the paranoia and delusions he had after the crime betrayed that he was, after all, human, all too human.

Napoleon, like many latter day dictators, caused the death of thousands. Yet, for me, it is hard to say that he is not great, as were Alexander and Julius Caesar. For I tend to agree with Raskonikov that greatness is better defined by the will to transcend the limits that bind ordinary mortals, rather than by the ability to abide by a strict code of morality.

Perhaps paradoxically, but in keeping with my declaration that I am still searching for a God, I agree with Dostoevsky that Raskolnikov can only find redemption in punishment and suffering. I continue to disagree with the Catholic propensity to accept suffering in the world and simply hope for a better after life, yet, ironically, I find myself beginning to understand the mystery and the beauty of the Christian sacrifice.

No comments: