Monday, March 21, 2011

Lessons from the Top

Here are the key lessons from this book of CEO profiles by Neff and Citrin:

1. Live with Integrity and Lead by Example
2. Develop a winning strategy or "big idea"
3. Build a Great Management Team
4. Inspire Employees to Achieve Greatness
5. Create a flexible, responsive organization
6. Tie It All Together with Reinforcing Management and Compensation Systems

You can't go wrong with the principles above, but the bias is for leadership and organization climate concepts. I am realizing now that there is a need to have a strong foundation in finance, and, probably later on in my career, in sales and marketing.

Below are the key traits of successful CEOs.

- Passion
- Intelligence and Clarity of Thinking
- Great Communication Skills
- High Energy Level
- Egos in Check
- Inner Peace
- Capitalizing on Formative Early Life Experience
- Strong Family Lives
- Positive Attitude
- Focus on "Doing the Right Things Right"

I think I need to work on sustaining my energy level, and gaining inner peace. My recent mentoring session with my second line manager has given me insight on better time management - he's even more obsessive-compulsive with his time. Deepening my spiritual knowledge and practicing my meditation religiously will be key to truly having inner peace.

No comments: