Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Things I Learned Before I was Born

Since my mother-in-law reappeared in my wife’s life as a born again Christian, she has given me several books on Christian spirituality. So dutiful son-in-law that I was, I began reading books I would not have been caught dead touching back when I was an atheist. Gracia Yumol’s short work Things I Learned Before I was Born was the sort of short, but sincere testimonial that gave me the jolt of inspiration and perspective I was looking for. Its three lessons were simple, but nevertheless true.

Losing is gaining. Indeed, I have learned a lot from life because I have lost a lot. I lost a competition I prepared hard for, but emerged tougher and wiser relative to my age. I lost in love for a moment, becoming embittered in the process, but I won again, realizing how painful love could be, but that it was still all worth it. I lost my chance at graduating with honors, and having a long bachelor life, but I gained the work ethic, focus, and determination of a young father who wanted his children to be proud of him.

Less is more. My quest for financial freedom sometimes blurs into a never ending race for more material things. I remain almost Puritan in my guilt with buying anything for myself, but I should guard against becoming too attached with worldly pleasures. It is good to savor the fine things in life, but I must always remember they are fleeting and illusory. They do not make us truly happy.

Love is the answer. This is the greatest cliche of all. Need I say more?

No comments: