Monday, July 13, 2009

Purpose Driven Life

As a skeptical and agnostic college debater, I would not have been caught dead reading Rick Warren's Purpose Driven Life. But as a young father and manager with more maturity and experience, and a profound sense of spiritual emptiness - something I would have derided as sheer nonsense - I finally gave it a chance.

It is not yet one of the books I consider life-changing. There is a lot in it that the scientist and intellectual in me cannot accept without wincing, especially the simplistic explanations of God's relationship to man as being like a family or like friends. I would like to think, however, that this is Warren's way of making the Word of God accessible to a mass audience, not a literal interpretation of the Bible. I see them as a human analogy to a divine - therefore, hard to describe in human terms - relationship.

But there is a lot of Warren's message I agree with: It is not about me; it is about living well for the glory of God; it is about serving others; it is about making good use of God's gifts to us so we can honor Him. Unfortunately, I cannot say yet that I made my leap of faith, but Warren has certainly kept me in the right path.

No comments: