Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Through a Glass, Darkly

Death is what allows Cecilia, a terminally ill girl to move from seeing the world through a glass, darkly, to seeing it in the absolute clarity of God's light. In her last few weeks on earth, Ariel, the angel of death watches over her, tells her what is on the other side of the mirror, and eases her acceptance of her passage into the next life.

I wonder whether my wife's grandmother had an angel to guide her in her last months of existence. She certainly suffered a lot more that Cecilia did and really longed to take her final rest. She had visions of little angels like her grandchildren running around and playing with her as she rested, smiling and contented.

I did not have the chance to know her more. I certainly did not see the fiery side that caused her entire family to fear her and her son to call her a lioness. I only remember a sweet, old lady telling me how happy she was that her first granddaughter was successful and happily married with two kids. Her life, full of drama and heartache, is now over, but she lives on in the courage and stubbornness of my wife and son.

No comments: