Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Socrates for Kids

We received Socrates for Kids by Sage Essman as a Christmas gift for my son two years ago. It is a collection of stories designed to teach a lesson in philosophy. I did not find it remarkable. It certainly was no Sophie's World, which is still what I would recommend for anyone who wants to begin learning about philosophy.

I leave it to my wife to teach my kids philosophy. She is, after all, a philosophy major. As a political science major, however, I did read a lot about political philosophy and continue to be fascinated by that subject.

Plato and Machiavelli remain by favorite philosophers. The idealism of the former and the realism of the latter describe most of what happens in the world. History is an ongoing struggle between the fight for ideals and the pursuit of raw power.

Everyone should read more philosophy. It is a useful antidote to the monotony, even inanity, of business writing.

No comments: